SAND CREEK festival, inc. PRESENTS
sand creek summer daze cardboard Regatta
Saturday, August 17, 2019
Anyone can build a cardboard boat, but can you build a seaworthy vessel in 90 minutes with cardboard, two pool noodles, a roll of duct tape and a knife, that will float from one side of Sand Creek to the other? Can it beat out all the other boats in a mad dash from one side of Sand Creek to the other? AND... can you beat the Newton Now's infamous "Death Boat", the scourge of the seven seas and Sand Creek, as the canons roar from its bow? …we want to find out! Bring a team, your family, or even your workmates and work in unison to create the cardboard boat of your dreams. We have in invited Elon Musk to do it! Who cares if it sinks or not, there's an award for that! Enjoy the possibility and excitement of being the fastest cardboard boat on Sand Creek!
Entry Fee $0.00
There is no stinking entry fee! This is free to all teams interested. BUT, you must have purchased a button to get into the festival in order to build a boat.
Best Team Concept!
Most Spectacular Sinking!
9:00 AM – Registration Begins at Park Gazebo
10:00 AM – Building Begins
11:30 AM – Parade to Boat Ramp
12:00 PM – Preliminary Judging and Regatta Begins
• Build a boat in 90 minutes or less with cardboard, utility knife, duct tape and pool noodles. Team awards will be given for Best Design, Best Team Concept, Most Spectacular Sinking and Fastest Time.
• Rules & Regulations
1. You can only use the tools and supplies provided
– Roll of duct tape
– Two pool noodles
– Box cutter (used by adult ONLY)
2. Teams may start building at the start of the horn & end at the final long horn sound. The burst of three horn blasts designates 15 minutes remaining.
3. You may bring & use spray paint or decorative accessories if they don’t add buoyancy or help with the overall flotation of the boat.
– Check with event representative in gazebo before using
– Unauthorized material will result in immediate disqualification.
4. Time limit of one hour and thirty minutes.
5. There will be NO team size limit, but only one team member will be allowed to captain (ride in) the boat.
6. Captain must be 14 or older.
7. Captain MUST wear an approved flotation device
8. TEAM MUST PROVIDE THEIR OWN APPROVED FLOTATION DEVICE!!
9. Rider must be in an upright position (seated or kneeling) to pilot the boat.
10. Oars, sails or other steering/propelling devices must be made from initial materials given.
11. If the captain has half his body under water or is floating by his vest, they are considered sunk.
1. The captain(s) will enter the water on the boat ramp on the east side of the creek and my use the help of teammates.
2. Your teamates have to let go once the starting horn blows.
3. An official on each side will signal when the opposite wall is touched and then when the team has touched the boat ramp again.
Tips to Having a FUN the Regatta
• Develop a great theme from a movie, a real life event, a song, a cartoon, etc.
• Dress the part! Not only the boat, but yourselves. You have a chance to win Best Float Design, Best Theme & Craziest Crew!
• Have fun during the parade. Sing, dance, or act your theme out. La La Land style
• Decorate your boat with flare!